Saturday, April 19, 2014

Apple, Carrot Cake


We celebrated my daughter's 5th birthday today with friends and family.  She needed a cake that was grain, dairy, and sugar free, and she requested that it be an apple, carrot cake.  I used this Paleo Carrot Cake recipe as my starting point and made a few adaptations to make it work for her party. 

1 cup honey
1/2 cup melted coconut oil
12 eggs
1 Tbs. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1/2 tablespoon ground nutmeg
1 1/8 cup coconut flour
1 1/2 cups shredded carrots (about 3 medium)
1 1/2 cups shredded apples (about 2 apples)

I peeled and roughly chopped the carrots and apples, and then I shredded them in my food processor attachment for my Ninja Mega Kitchen System.  Mix all the ingredients together saving the carrot/apple mixture and coconut flour for last.  For cupcakes, I baked these for about 25 minutes at 350 degrees.

For icing, I made this recipe for Salted Raw Carmel Dip.  Typically, I make this to serve as a sweet dip with apple slices for a special treat for the kids, but I thought that the flavors would go well with the carrot cake too.  It was a hit!  The kids, and especially the all important birthday girl, loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment