Sunday, December 2, 2012

Gluten Free Salmon Potato Patties

We don't typically eat much fish, but I'm trying to broaden our diet a bit so I tried something new tonight.  I looked through a few recipes for inspiration and came up with this combination based mostly on what I had available.  I will count this as a hit since all three kids ate some.  It took a little bribing with my daughter, but eventually she tried the salmon patties and decided they were pretty good.  The bribing involved getting her watermelon for dessert, so I count it as a big win.  This recipe makes eight patties which was the perfect amount for my family of five. The little kids each ate one patty, and my teenager, husband, and I each had two.

Salmon Potato Patties
1 small onion
handful of baby carrots
olive oil
2 cups prepared mashed potatoes (I used some ready-made, but leftovers would also work well)
1 egg
2 - 6 oz. cans of pink salmon
2 tbs corn starch

Finely chop the onion and carrots.  I used a food chopper to get the onions very small so that my kids couldn't see the onions; otherwise, they would protest and refuse to eat it.

Next saute the onions and carrots with a little bit of olive oil until the onions start to caramelize and the carrots soften. 

Then drain the salmon and empty it into a medium sized bowl. Mix in the onion/carrots, mashed potatoes, egg and corn starch.

Form the mixture into 8 patties and cook in a skillet with some olive oil for approximately 5 minutes on each side. I just used the same skillet that I used to saute the onions and carrots.

I served the patties with some peas.

No comments:

Post a Comment