Thursday, January 24, 2013

We love Costco!

There are many things that I love about Costco including their reputation for treating their employees well, the bulk-size discounts for my family-size shopping needs, and the higher quality products.  More and more though, I am beginning to love them for carrying products that are gluten free.   Here's a few of our favorites:
  1.  Rotisserie Chicken:  Unfortunately, most of the grocery store rotisserie chickens contain gluten in the seasonings.  Bummer!  However, the rotisserie chicken from Costco is safe and labeled gluten free.  Hurray!  It's a bit of a drive for us to go to Costco, so by the the time that we drive there, shop, and drive home, it's close to a mealtime and the kids are hungry.  We usually pick up a rotisserie chicken while we are there to make a quick meal when we get home.  This week we had the chicken with quinoa and peas when we got home.  My little gluten-free girl ate three plates of food. My kids love to dip, so I gave them some Sweet Baby's Ray's BBQ sauce (Yes, we buy it in bulk from Costco).
  2. Cashew Clusters: My son with a peanut allergy does not eat these because of the warning of cross-contamination with peanuts, but the little ones as well as mom and dad love to snack on these. They have also been a favorite with guests as well. In fact, my mom recently called me from Costco asking where to find them. 
  3.  Nature's Earthly Choice Quinoa:  Yes, all quinoa is gluten-free, but I added this to my list because it is such a good deal at Costco and is a great addition to a gluten-free diet.
  4. Nature's Earthly Choice Chia Seeds:  I'm always trying to find ways to bulk up my kids food, and I've found that my kids like Chia seeds on yogurt.  My daughter was even calling them sprinkles the other day and putting them on frozen yogurt.  This is another great deal at Costco especially in comparison to purchasing it at a health food store.
  5. Crunchmaster Multi-Grain Crackers:  These are a great nut and seed based cracker that are still easy enough for a toddler to chew.  My kids love to dip these in hummus or eat them with SunButter.
  6. Pirate's Booty:  Both of my little ones are huge fans of Jake and the Neverland Pirates from Disney Junior, so they love to snack on Pirate Booty.  It's a great gluten-free snack to have on hand that doesn't cost a fortune.
  7. Dietz & Watson Deli Meat:  Deli meat can be another item with hidden gluten, but this brand carried by Costco is gluten free.  We don't eat many sandwiches because I frankly don't make gluten free bread daily, but my daughter loves to have "turkey rolls".  I simply roll up a small slice of cheddar cheese in a slice of turkey lunch meat.
My list is getting lengthy, so I'll wrap this one up for now and post some additional favorites soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment